With its surrounding area known as Buzestina, Buzet covers 165 square kilometres and has about 5000 inhabitants. When one says Buzestina, one means the area of the town of Buzet and all the villages around it as well as around Roc, Hum, Vrh, Racice and Sovinjak. It is situated in the northern part of the continental Istria, among three major cities: Rijeka, Trieste and Pula.
The area is quite versatile – ranging from 10 to over 1000 metres above the sea level – thus containing various climates; in the valley of river Mirna, the climate is mild, Mediterranean while in the mountain range of Cicarija it is continental.
With its forests, plains and beautiful pastures the area of Cicarija, known as the Roof of Istria, offers many opportunities for a great summer as well as winter break. In the valley of the river Mirna, along the brink of the forrest of Motovun, spa tourism has developed in Istarske toplice. Bearing in mind the saying that health is the vastest of the treasures, Istarske toplice offer bathing in sulphur water and thermal and mud baths, used in treating rheumatic pains and endocrine system conditions.
Buzet is situated in northern Istria on a lovely hill above the river Mirna. From the north it is surrounded by the mountain range of Cicarija – Raspadalica, paragliders’ take-off point and from the south by low plains of the grey Istria.
According to historians and archaeological sites, the area was inhabited as early as in the prehistoric times – acropolis nature of the town and ancient tradition of the defence settlement both account for that. Furthermore, all well-known monuments across Buzestina are witness to economic and political links with the Roman Empire.
After the ransacking of Fort Raspor in 1511, the seat of Raspor Captain of Buzet, the town began flourishing. Years of peace and harmony followed. Trade developed, the people took care of the fort and lots of town sites were renovated. In 1547 Gianmaria Contarini had The Major Gate (Vela vrata) built from which today we can only see the stone bases. A few centuries later, Captain Nicolo Salamon had the Minor Gate (Mala vrata) built in the western part of the town.
The new age of building began after the Uskok Wars. The new palace, which later became the property of Bigatto family, was built. In 1784 the building of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary was completed. Today, the ancient town on the hill is not the heart of life in Buzet. At the foot of the hill, the new part of town, Fontana, took over
Buzet was proclaimed the City of Truffles in 1999. Apart from Buzet, the zone of truffles includes two other counties: communes: commune Oprtalj and commune Motovun. In the middle of these municipal areas there is Motovun Forest, home of the Istrian white truffle (tuber magnatum), a priceless mushroom bulb whose value is measured in grams. It has a specific smell and it is quite unappealing to look at but its taste is fantastic. Every year, on the second weekend in September – the date of traditional feast of the patron Saint of Buzet, Subotina – a gigantic pan of scrambled eggs (over 2000 eggs and 10 kg of truffles) is prepared on Fontana Square. The day marks the beginning of the Days of Truffles. Namely, the season of collecting truffles lasts from September to end of November and this is the ideal time to taste them.